Red spot on urethral meatus of the penis

Patient

Q: I have discovered a red like spot in the entance to the urethral meatus of my penis. I havent had unprotected sex in a year so i dont think its an STD. It just seemed to appear about a month ago. Its painless to touch and I have no pain passing urine. What could this be?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This painless red lesion at the urethral meatus could be an inflamed sebaceous gland which is relatively benign and can resolve without complication on its own. It can also be caused by an eruption of herpes. Even though you haven't had sexual intercourse in over a year, the herpes simplex virus can remain dormant within the body for many years without symptoms. We recommend that, while this lesion is present you have it examined and tested by your doctor to determine the exact cause of it.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDocotor.com