Red wine during pregnancy

Patient

Q: Is it safe to drink one glass of red wine while 10 weeks pregnant?

Symptoms:  No symptoms
Doctor

A:   Although it is well established that excess alcohol consumption during pregnancy is harmful to the growing baby it is difficult to say exactly how much is too much. For decades, researchers have known that heavy drinking during pregnancy can cause birth defects. But the potential effects of small amounts of alcohol on a developing baby are not well understood. This is because alcohol breakdown rate differs from woman to woman as it is dependent on enzyme levels that differ from person to person. Hence even with the same quantity of alcohol, different women could have different levels of alcohol in their bodies.
Most doctors therefore would not recommend consumption of more than a glass or two of alcoholic beverages in a week for pregnant women.