Reddish scarring with pimples

Patient

Q: Im 20 yrs old. Recently , I developed a red scarring on my skin which is not itching and it is surrounded my pimples which comes and goes. Its on my nose, cheeks and chin. I tried home remedies it reduced but came back. Im not sure what it is but it started on my forehead a little bit. Please reply

Symptoms:  Reddish scarring with pimples
Reddish scarring with pimples-1 Reddish scarring with pimples-2
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. What you are experiencing here is a very common condition for patients who have suffered with acne breakouts. This is called Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is a condition which areas of skin become darkened or reddened after acne breakouts. This area can become more prominent in areas exposed to sun. We recommend that you have your doctor examine this area in more detail and determine whether you will benefit from topical ointments to clear this inflammation. It is important that you try to apply sunscreen to your face as the harmful ultraviolet rays can make this worse.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com