Redness in feet and legs when standing

Q: I was recently prescribed 10mg of Norvasc and recently started to notice that when I stand up my feet and legs get red and warm. I know norvasc dilates the blood vessels in your legs and ankle to reduce blood pressure and wanted to know if this was normal and if I should continue taking the medication.

Symptoms:  Red legs, legs feel warm

A:   Thank you for your question. Patients with hypertension can suffer from a condition known as peripheral vascular disease, and edema (fluid accumulation within the tissues of the extremities). This could be the reason for your leg redness on standing. It is important that you have this examined by your doctor as you can develop permanent damage to the circulation to your lower extremities. This can lead to decreased circulation and tissue death in your legs. You may need to be placed on medication to remove excess fluid which is accumulation as well as blood thinners to improve circulation to the lower extremities. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting