Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Reducing how much the jaw protrudes

Reducing how much the jaw protrudes

Patient: My jaw protrudes a fair bit. I have had braces and dental care which made my teeth straight but my jaw still protrudes. Is there a way i can fix that? It makes me self conscious

Symptoms: Protuding jaw despite dental care

Doctor: Protrusion of jaw can be because of protrusion of teeth(dental) and/or protrusion of jaw bone. Braces have their limitat ion and can correct only dental protrusion. However if still you need further correction you have to go for surgical correction of the jaw bones.Pl consult a good oral & maxillofacial surgeon & orthodontist. Frankly share your concern and before you decide discuss merits and demerits of the procedure and complete treatment plan.In good hands, I am sure desired results can be achieved.