Rehab process after hip core decompression

Patient

Q: I just had hip decompression with nothing put in the holes that were drilled. Now I want to know What to expect in the recovery process for hip core Decompression? (ex what type of pain, is the old pain still suppose to be there, what can i do what am i not allowed to do, how long on crutches, how long before i can walk with no aid... those types of things.)

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor

The Core decompression of the hip is a surgical procedure that removes the inner layer of bone, which reduces pressure within the bone, increases blood flow to the bone, and allows more blood vessels to form. Core decompression works best in people who are in the earliest stages of avascular necrosis, often before the collapse of the joint. This procedure sometimes can reduce pain and slow the progression of bone and joint destruction. The first 4 weeks after the surgery you should not bear weight and use crutches, go to physical therapy and regain passive range of movements.

You should have X-rays to check the healing bone process and accordingly proceed with the Rehab . Between 4 and 8 weeks you should progressively bear weight, first partially and progress to complete. After the week 8 you can do gentle walking and light stretching, pool  exercises, then when close to week 12, if everything goes fine, you could do short sprints, shuttle runs, gradual jogging and you will be on your way to full recovery.

Hope this helps you. All the best.