Relief for burning eyes and cold symtoms

Q: My daughter has had a cough with some congestion for more than 5 days and yesterday had a runny nose. Tonight her cough seems a little better but her eyes are puffy red and swollen. They burn and continue to water. Is this related to the cough and runny nose?

Symptoms:  Coughing, some congestion, sneezing and red swollen eyelids and eyes- eyes continue to water. complains of eyes itching and burning

A:   Thank you for your question. Yes, it is likely that the symptoms affecting her eyes is related to her upper respiratory tract and sinus infection. These types of infections could be caused by bacteria or viral infections. The infection from the sinuses can lead to inflammation of the eyes, tearing and burning. We recommend that you have her examined by a doctor to make sure that her eyes have not become infected or if this is occurring in response to her sinus infection. She may need to be prescribed some antibiotic medication to clear this infection, along with prescription eye drops to reduce the burning, tearing and redness. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting