Removal of cyst and long term recovery

Q: 4 weeks ago I had a dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary. Now experiencing sharp, but not unbearable pain in lower right abdominal area just at hip bone. Could this pain be related to the removal of the cyst?

A:   The pain could certainly be related to the surgery. The recovery period is different for everyone, but the pain should usually subside within 4-6 weeks. If the pain does not subside with rest and pain medication, I would suggest that you consult your doctor. I wish you well, take care.

Guest: I also had a large dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary about 6 wks ago. I recovered quickly and returned to work. Recently I have been experiencing pressure and pain in my right pelvic area. I am not sure if this is normal. I called my OBGYN office yesterday and they told me to keep and eye on it and if it gets worse to call them. When I woke up this morning it is hurting worse. I really need to go to work today and I work during their office hours. Can't go in until Fri, my day off. I feel terrible. I was wondering since your post if you have had to contact your physician since your post about your issue?