Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Removal of ovary at C-Section

Removal of ovary at C-Section

Patient: I Had a cesarean on Jan 19, 2009. The doctor took my right ovary out withut telling me. I want to know why a doctor would take an ovary out without telling me

Doctor: It is by no means common practice for surgeons to remove an ovary at the time of a C-section. It is possible that at the time of surgery your doctor observed a diseased ovary which he/she thought would eventually require removal. He/she thought it prudent to remove the ovary rather than allow the disease to progress. This may be the case if your doctor suspected a cancerous ovary. Regardless of the reason for removal you doctor should have informed you immediately after recovery from anesthesia.