Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Removed intrauterine device, then had unprotected sex. Can I be pregnant?

Removed intrauterine device, then had unprotected sex. Can I be pregnant?

Patient: Hi. Im 20 years old i had my mirena in for 6 months before recently removing it on May.12 2014. My boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex trying for our first. Ive looked on many websites and ive read a bunch of things relating to twins and the mirena being linked together and some getting pregnant right away. i got my period with iud styll in place on May.8 2014 had the iud removed on May. 12 2014 its now May 19 2014 Could i be pregnant already ? and if its possible should i take a pregnancy test ? Someone please help ive looked everywhere for answers and tbh i really just want this baby gon thru too much with this department..

Symptoms: cramps, back pain, headaches, breast get sore at night

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Pregnancy is possible right after the removal of an intrauterine device. Since you would have your ovulation around this time, it is better you use a condom or the morning after pill if you do not want to conceive immediately.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.