Reoccurring hair thinning/loss from 2 years ago.

Q: I am now 18 and two years ago i suffered from hair thinning around the sides of my head and lost around 1/2 of my hair. I had numerous blood tests and no doctor knew what to do or how to stop it. 4 months later it stopped on its own. However now, 2 years later my hair has started dramatically thinning again and i dont know how to stop it. It was extremely traumatising and i do not want to go through it again. Do you have any suggestions as to what i can do? Thankyou

Symptoms:  Hair thinning all over, lots of hair coming out when i shower or when i brush it (i try not to).

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

Hair thinning can occur mainly due to following reasons:
1) Anemia
2) Thyroid gland dysfunction
3) Nutritional deficiency
4) Hormonal
5) idiopathic: no known reason

I will advise you following investigations:
1 ) Hemoglobin levels
2) Serum ferritin levels
3) Thyroid profile

Visit Your doctor so that he can examine you and order tests for you.
Till then you may take the tablet containing Biotin, Calcium pantothenate. Selenium available in the market with various brands.
You can share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope this helps.
Take care.