Ask The Doctor > Pending > Repeated blood stoppage to brain

Repeated blood stoppage to brain

Patient: When I was a teenager, I found I could temporarily alter my consciousness by applying pressure to the two arteries in my neck. I started doing it habitually, and am now 20 and doing it hundreds of times per day. I’m aware that this is bad for me, and I keep trying to stop, but I was wondering just how dangerous this could be for me. I often worry that the artery could become weakened due to the added strain I’ve put on it and pop one day due a surge of blood. I’ve avoided going to an actual Doctors partially out of embarrasment and partly because I don’t know how I’d explain it to an actual person, but any advice you could give would be hugely appreciated.

Symptoms: If I block the flow of blood to my brain for 10-15 seconds I experience close to a loss of consciousness and a euphoric sensation.

Doctor: