Restarting the pill

Q: I was on the pill (cilest) for just under 7 years but decided to come off it just under 2 months ago after coming out of a long term relationship. Due to unforeseen circumstances I need to either go back on the pill or another form of contraception as soon as possible. How long do I have to wait before I can start taking contraception other than condoms again?

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about re starting oral contraceptives. You could take them again on the first day of your next period OR on the first Sunday after your period begins, you see the important thing here is to rule out possible pregnancy.
If your menses don’t appear for a week, it would be recommended to take a pregnancy test, and if positive confirm it first with a blood pregnancy test taken buy your health care provider. I wish you the best.