x
167 Physicians Online

Question:

Return to Play (RTP) after a Mild Concussion

How long should I wait to play football after getting a minor concussion???

Answer:

After your initial evaluation and treatment for the concussion, you should be referred for follow-up to your doctor or to a neurologist to make sure that there are not subtle symptoms as: memory deficits, personality changes, headaches, possibly as consequence of the concussion and provide you  medical clearance to return to play(RTP), following a step-wise protocol with provisions for delayed RTP based on return of any signs or symptoms . Most likely if you had a single, mild, isolated concussion; generally you have a great chance of showing a very good outcome with few or none long-term side effects. It is very important that in the future you use the protective headgear at all times while practicing football, because just this single measure can decrease a lot the risks of further concussions.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA