Rhesus negative blood and miscarriage

Patient

Q: Do I need an anti D injection after a miscarriage if I have rhesus negative blood? I had a termination at 17 and was given on then and I have just recently had a miscarriage and have heard I should get another one. Is this true?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about Rh incompatibility. Yes, you will need to have Rhogam injected to you to prevent the development of antibodies against Rh factor. When women have Rh negative factor and the partner has Rh positive or is unknown, it is mandatory to receive Rh immune globulin within 72 hours after a birth, miscarriage, abortion, or amniocentesis.