x
194 Physicians Online

Question:

RhoGam after a miscarriage.

I am RH negative, so when i was pregnant with my son i have to get the Rhogam shot while i was pregnant and then after dilvery. I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks back in october so my question is, should i have gotten the shot again after then miscarriage or will i be able to conceive without it?

Answer:

Certainly if you are Rh-negative, physicians would advise you to receive RhoGAM after a miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, or other pregnancy loss.
As you may already know, getting a RhoGAM or other Rh immune globulin shot is a precaution against a situation called Rh incompatibility, which could affect future pregnancies.
Let me reassure that the risk of sensitization after a miscarriage is relatively small. However, you should inform your doctor about this, a test might need to be done to check your Rh sensitization status. In the event that you did develop anti-Rh antibodies, treatments for Rh incompatibility do exist and your doctor will know to observe your future pregnancies closely for signs of problems so as to intervene early if needed. I wish you the best.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA