Rib cage pain after a massage

Patient

Q: A masseuse pressed into my guts by my right rib cage and since something feels like it is loose and it's uncomfortable to lay or my back as if there's a void in there. When I touch my belly by my right rib cage and then the left, the right is much softer like there's a void Whats going on? This is really important to me, my doctor didn't do anything about it but It effects me really badly everyday. I no longer sleep on my back because of the uncomfort and it's also effecting my posture. I need help!!!

Doctor

A:    Possibly a extreme movement or massage produced a muscle sprain. A muscle strain is associated with the tearing or excessive stretching of the muscle and can be painful. All symptoms of muscle injury and muscle pain can range from mild to severe. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury. The conservative treatment consists of: initially, rest, ice can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. It is very important that you allow time to heal. The other condition that may produce the pain that you described is a Intercostal neuritis, which is not a serious condition but very annoying indeed and slow healing. By a spasm or a direct trauma the intercostals muscles and nerves got injured, and that’s why you are feeling that pain in the rib cage.The suggested strategy would be: please, try to be patient and do not expect an overnight improvement, take anti inflammatory medication  and also Vitamin B12 supplement. Local moist heat helps to ease the pain. An again,try to avoid activities that worsen the pain.