Right above my left tonsil there is a big bright red spot.

Patient : Right above my left tonsil there is a big bright red spot, it kinda looks like a vein popped... Is that really bad?
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. This can happen with an ongoing throat infection or cold. Since you have not mentioned any other symptoms, I am not sure if you have any sore throat. However a bright red spot ( appears like a small bump ) could indicate a throat infection ( mostly streptococcal ). Can also be associated with chronic tonsillitis. Sometimes even without an infection, common cold can lead to such small red bumps over the pharynx/ tonsils. It is better you get it examined by your physician once. If you have associated symptoms suggestive of a bacterial infection, antibiotics like Amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily can be taken for 3-5 days depending on the severity of the infection. Even betadine/ saline water gargling will soothe the throat and reduce the inflammation. Hope this was helpful, Regards.