Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Right leg shooting pain after I get up from sitting or lying down

Right leg shooting pain after I get up from sitting or lying down

Patient: Hi, For the last 2 weeks when I get up after I sit a while, a cannot stand on my right legg. I think it must be a piched nerve in my thigh. This morning it is very bad and I am having the needles and pins feeling in my legg. Is there any excersice I can do, or medication available over the counter I can use. I am just scared it has long term effect. Kind regards, Cindy

Doctor: If you are experiencing a shooting pain up that radiates down to your leg and also is accompanied of a pins  and needle les sensation, this possibly might be due to a  nerve compression of a Sciatic nerve inflammation. In the younger patients, lumbar radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient,  radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process. The treatment strategy usually includes: a physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication (Aleve, Motrin), also a re-education of your habits and posture to improve quality of life. You should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on your own. You may take Vitamin B-12, this helps the nerve to recover.