Right shoulder and shoulder blade pain

Patient

Q: I have had horrible right shoulder pain and shoulder blade pain for the past week. It is an unbearable pain and I cannot take it much longer. I have had a similar problem four years back and nothing was wrong (supposedly). Nothing helps.. Ibuprofen, heat, ice, bengay rub. I work at an office and it starts by my shoulder blade and radiates up to my shoulder. I just want the pain to stop. Please help me and tell me what I need to do.

Symptoms:  Pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. There are several possible causes for this severe shoulder pain you are experiencing. Further examination and testing will be required to determine the exact cause however, we would like to provide you with a few possible causes for this pain.

The first possibility is that you may be experiencing a problem with the rotator cuff of the shoulder. Strained ligaments or muscles of the rotator cuff can lead to this sharp pain and decreased range of motion. Another possible cause for this pain may be due to nerve impingement. This can produce a sharp pain in the shoulder/shoulder blade but you can also experiencing a numb sensation down the arm as well. Last but not least, it is possible that you could be experiencing myofacial pain. Myofascial pain is associated with the fascia, which is a tissue that covers the muscles of the shoulder. This pain can be difficult to pinpoint, therefore a thorough examination by your doctor along with diagnostic imaging will be required. Once the your doctor determine a possible cause for this pain, you may be prescribed physiotherapy, and oral analgesic medication to treat this.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com