Right side serve pain

Patient

Q: I've had horrible back pains, almost a constant cramping, for about 9 months now on my right side around my lower ribs that sometimes shoots around my side. I've gone to the gp and they called it a pulled muscle and sent me to physical therapy. Nothing has helped at all, it's becoming hard to live with! What could it possibly be?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your pain could possibly be as previously diagnosed, musculoskeletal in nature. However there could be a number of other causes that we can consider. One of these could be a condition known as Intercostal Neuralgia. Intercostal neuralgia is rare pain condition where the nerves that run between the ribs become irritated resulting in the pain you have described. This can be treated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or you may need an intercostal nerve blocking injection with a local long acting anesthetic. We recommend that you be reassessed by your doctor for this as being a cause of your illness, after which you can start the appropriate treatment.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com