Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Right Time To Have Unprotected Sex

Right Time To Have Unprotected Sex

Patient: I am a 25 year old guy. Me and my girl friend were planning to have unprotected sex for the first time. She is ready to take a contraceptive pill (i pill) after the act. Her periods are due to start on the 10th of this month. When is the best day to have unprotected sex? We were planning either on 8th which is tomorrow or on 17th or 18th of this month. And after the act she will be taking a contraceptive pill. So what do you suggest when will be the right time to have unprotected sex? And how safe is it for me as I have read that having sex during periods can cause STD?Awaiting your kind reply

Doctor: There are many ways to explain the question raised by you. Your anxiety regarding pregnancy and STDs are understandable . The explanations are as follows:1. Safe period applies only to women who have very regular periods. Say if it is 30 days cycle. The Ovulation is on 16th day. That means first 10 days and last 10 days are safe approximately. If 28 days cycle ovulation is on 14th reasonably the above timings apply. If too much difference, it needs calculation2. Unprotected sex never guarantees contraception. After sex pills are available. Please contact your nearest doctor.3. If contraception is the concern, better to have it regularly with oral contraceptive pills. That will give the best protection.4. STDs can happen with or without menses. However, with reliable partner it should be safe. STDs risk increases mainly in women, rather than men. Protection by condom is good for both and better try it.