Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ringing of the ear for about 1week

Ringing of the ear for about 1week

Patient: Ringing in ear my left ear please help

Symptoms: My left ear has been ringing for 1week

Doctor: Thank you for your question. There are many causes for ringing in the ear, also known as tinnitus. Acute onset of tinnit us such as yours can be caused by exposure to loud noises, or listening to loud music through head phones. Furthermore, tinnitus can be caused the ear wax blocking the external ear canal and pressing against the ear drum. Lastly, tinnitus can be caused by movement of the three ear ossicles (bones). Since your tinnitus is on one side, and has only been occurring for a week, it is likely that the latter of these two possibilities could be causing this. We recommend that you see your doctor to have your ear examined. If your ear is clogged with ear wax, this can easily be removed by your doctor providing relief of your symptoms. Excessive movement of the ear ossicles may need further evaluation by an ear, nose and throat specialist. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com