Risk of an affected child (SS genotype) in Sickle cell Disease

Patient

Q: Hello my genotype is AS and my fiancee also is AS, we are worried about the posibility of having children without SS genotype? what do we do

Doctor

A:   I assume you are referring to the inheritance of sickle cell disease, an autosomal recessive condition. If both you are your fiancé are AS genotype then you are both carriers of the abnormal gene. During each pregnancy you will have a 1 in 4 (25%) chance of having an affected child SS genotype, a 1 in 4 (25%) chance of a normal child AA genotype, and a 1 in 2 chance (50%) of a carrier child AS genotype.