Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Risk of arthroscopic surgery in aspirin user of 8 years

Risk of arthroscopic surgery in aspirin user of 8 years

Patient: My husband is having authscoptic surgery wednesday however he has been on an aspirin regimen for almost 8 yrs. he did not stop taking it and now the doc seems to think the it is ok for him to have the surgery this wed. 6/18/14. today is 6/16/14. Could you pls let me know if this is safe.

Symptoms: surgery this wed and still taking aspirin no one advised us .

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is important to notify your surgeon of your aspirin therapy prior to surgery in order t o determine whether it needs to be discontinued before undergoing any procedure, especially if there is a high risk of bleeding. Given the fact that your husband is undergoing arthroscopic surgery, there is no significant bleeding risk, which is perhaps the reason your surgeon did not take issue with it. We do recommend you express your concerns to your surgeon prior to the procedure in order to be fully assured that you are indeed safe for surgery on the 18th of June.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com