Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Risk of tetanus when not up to date with shots

Risk of tetanus when not up to date with shots

Patient: Just got pricked by a metal staple that may have been slightly rusty this morning.. haven’t had tetanus shot in over 10 years.. scheduled an appointment tomorrow morning to have a tetanus shot… Even if I contract tetanus, I should be fine if I get a tetanus shot tomorrow right? I let it bleed out for 1 minute and then simply put tissue on it and taped it up(was at work at the time).. Thanks for your time!

Doctor: Tetanus is rare among those who have received a primary vaccination against the disease. Therefore there should be no ri sk of tetanus after receiving a tetanus shot. I wish you well, take care.