Ask The Doctor > Pending > Risks associated with Pseudomona Aeruginosa.

Risks associated with Pseudomona Aeruginosa.

Patient: My grandfather, aged 83 has a bacterial urinary infection (pseudomona aeruginosa) – resistant to most drugs. He is immobile and requires help for daily activities, ranging from taking a bath, feeding, excretion and etc. He has also lost control of his bladder functions. there are two primary care givers (non-professional, his wife and an additional helper) who take care of his activities, but I am concerned about the general hygiene for everyone in the family. When my grandfather is not on catheter, his urine needs to be cleaned up and the urine is exposed – leading to a concern about whether the rest of the family can catch this infection too. Could this bacterial infection spread through air/contact? what are some of the precautions we should take to prevent spread of disease?

Symptoms: No symptoms

Doctor: