Ritalin to Sober Up?

Patient

Q: Is Ritalin a safe or effective way to sober up after drinking? My friend is going to be drinking this weekend and was wondering if it would be safe if she took a small dosage of Ritalin a few hours after drinking. She wants to know if it will also make her appear and feel more sober. Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We are strongly advise against the use of Methylphenidate (Ritalin) when consuming alcohol. This may increase nervous system side effects such as anxiety,drowsiness, depression, and even seizures. The side effects of the combination of these two drugs far out way what ever 'sobering' effects it may elicit. Please advise your friend to not use Methylphenidate she is consuming alcohol.

We hope AskTheDoctor.com has addressed your query.