Rotator cuff surgery delay

Q: My doctor through an MRI has informed me I have a completer rotator cuff tear and would need surgery. I first approached him with the pain one year ago, yet now he tells me it has to be repaired within a year or the muscle turns to "mayonnaise" and will not hold a suture. do I have a time restraint? and wouldn't the initial pain fall with in that one year if the one year rule is true?

A:   Time is important in repairing your injury. Your surgeon has tried to emphasize the importance of  having surgery in a timely manner as delay makes the repair more difficult and less likely to yield the desired result. As it has already been a year, the repair will be difficult but a good outcome is likely. Further delay decreases this likelihood.