Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Rotator Cuff Training: Preventing Lesions

Rotator Cuff Training: Preventing Lesions

Patient: I play baseball mostly year-round. i was curious as to how often i should be working out my rotator cuffs to prevent any injury?

Doctor: First of all, you have to warm-up and stretch the shoulder-arm muscles, secondly, listen to your body, if you feel pain it is time to stop the offending activity before it causes more harm. Have in mind that Rotator cuff injuries are a common cause of shoulder pain in people of all age groups. They represent a wide array of diseases,  from acute reversible tendinitis to massive tears involving the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and subscapularis. Diagnosis is usually made through detailed history, physical examination, and often, imaging studies. Following rotator cuff injuries, you must pay careful attention to the use of correct mechanics during athletic activities and avoid harmful adaptations (e.g, changing arm position when throwing a baseball). The nature of many overhead sports makes the athlete susceptible to injury and dysfunction because of the repetitive high-velocity stress that is required.You should maintain balanced shoulder ROM, with special attention to shoulder internal rotation, which can be limited by increased posterior capsular tightness. Maintaining proper trunk and lower extremity strength is also important, because these muscles generate significant force for athletes performing overhead motions and reduce stress on the shoulder girdle muscles.