Round patches of hair loss

Patient

Q: Im 22 and was doing my hair and found a bald spot very scary. I do stress out alot but don't have any condicions i know of that would cuase this.why would i get a bald spot?and my hair is falling out more and more?I also notice that I get really bloated after I eat and I'm gaining weight

Doctor

A:   The most probable cause of your hair loss is a condition known as alopecia areata. This presents as round patches of hair loss. Thought the cause of alopecia areata is not known, this condition usually runs in families.
Usually no treatment of alopecia areata is required and the hair will regrown in a few months. Severe cases may require topical steroids, minoxidil and UV light therapy.