Rubbery stretchy stools

Q: My 4 year old son's last 2 bowel movements have been rubbery and stretchy (doesn't break or smudge easily). The stools kind of have a slippery coating. What would cause this?

A:   Thank you for your question. If your child has no other symptoms such as fever, abdominal pain, weakness, nausea or vomiting, then it is possible that this bowel movement is a normal one. Sometimes, bowel movements could contain excessive amounts of mucus, which could give a shiny, slippery appearance to them. This is simply a normal secretion in the colon to ease the transit of stool through the bowels. We recommend that pay close attention to the stool to make sure it is not 'black and tarry' in colour, or if there is any bright red blood, as this could be indicative of an intestinal bleed. If this is not present, then it is possible that this a normal bowel movement.

Thank you for choosing