Running Consistently Followed by Sickness

Patient

Q: Hi,

My question is a little lengthy. I ran cross country and track all through jr. high and high school and continued to run pretty consistently for my first couple of years at college. However, in the past two years or so I haven't run consistently at all.

This winter, I decided to get back into shape. Three different times, I started running about 3 to 4 times a week. Each time, two weeks in, I got sick. For me, this is a little strange; I'm the type of person who gets 2-3 colds in an entire year and rarely are my sicknesses ever serious. This winter, I got sick almost double my normal amount in one third of the time. My sicknesses included an eye infection, a sinus infection, something akin to the flu, and something else, not sure what, that caused my ENTIRE body to ache for a few days. It was not just soreness from exercise.

My question is, why is this happening to me? I'm thinking my body is either being overworked after a long period of non-strenuous activities, or else could the fact that I began exercising again in the winter be a contributing factor and my lungs were taking in a lot of cold air and breathing hard all through it, etc?

I hope you can offer some insight into my situation. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Doctor