Running performance decreased.

Q: For a while now, I've been running for around 45 minutes around 3oclock, and eating around 1500 cals a day. (18 year old female, around 5 ft 7/ 150 lbs) Normally, during the run, I'm able to push through and my stamina has naturally increased. After the workout, I usually feel very good and happy (I guess from the endorphin's) and weirdly never have an appetite or hunger cues for the rest of the night, I usually just eat once I feel like physical symptoms take effect like light headed, fatigued, etc. The past 2 or 3 days, however, the runs have been brutal and my endurance has decreased. Also, I found that on these days when I got home from the gym I didn't have that same happy feeling and my appetite sky-rocketed like I could eat everything. Also, when I got home from the gym today I weighed myself and it was actually up a few ounces from this morning. I know that's not a huge deal but whenever I get home from the gym and weigh myself it always goes down at least a couple ounces or stays the same from the morning. (not sure if that is a useful piece of info to include) I actually had my annual checkup with my doctor and everything was fine and normal. could you think of cause for these changes these past few days? Could it be signs my period is coming? That's the only thing that came to mind for me. I don't know, though. Thank you so much!

Symptoms:  Workout

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

If you are between 13 to 18 years of age, this may be a growth spurt which is making you hungry. The type of food that you are taking could also be doing this. Certain foods make a person more hungry than others.

When you start running, you start off as a beginner and you are not able to push as hard and the workouts seem harder. As you become more used to running, the workouts become easier and you will be able to work out well. At this point, you are also able to increase the intensity of the exercise.

Now, this can cause an increase in hunger after exercise. Also, again of just one pound can be attributed to water. The best way is to measure weight is at the same time daily. Pick a timing and do this.

It will really help me if you give your age, weight before and now, height, running schedule, and a brief plan of your diet.

And Yes, periods or Hormonal imbalance will affect the body and cause these symptoms.

Hope this helps you.