Running tendon injury related to bone injury?

Q: I have recently begun a running regimen, hopefullly to eventually run a marathon. I've been increasing mileage slowly (though admittedly not as slowly as the 10% rate that some recommend).

It had been going fine with minor aches and soreness, but nothing out of ordinary until Saturday. I ran 3 miles, for a total of 9 in the week (up from 7.5 the previous week, also with a longest run of 3 miles). Afterward I felt tightness and pain in my Achilles tendon a few inches above the heel. By advice online I rested the ankle, elevated it, and did a number of stretches and toe lifts.

Then today (Tuesday) I stretched extensively and went on one of my shorter runs (1.5 miles) to see if I was feeling better enough to resume training and felt great initially. Then my ankle began to hurt, sharply and with extra pain when walked on, not in the tendon this time, but instead on the joint itself, and was especially painful on the bone on the inside of the ankle and the front of the leg above the ankle.

I have 2 related questions:
1. Are these injuries the same injury just felt in different places, or is one likely a tendon issue and the other is a bone or muscle issue?
2. Does this issue sound as if it could be "worked through" with reduced exercise, icing and rest or should I discontinue exercise entirely and see a doctor for treatment?