Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ruptured biceps and methods of treatment.

Ruptured biceps and methods of treatment.

Patient: Hi, I am a 44year old male. I have ruptured my arm bicep so the muscel is only hanging on by a thread.My work involves heavy lifting which i am unable to do.my question is how long will it take to heal and what is involved in healing it?

Doctor: A ruptured biceps may present with symptoms like acute anterior shoulder pain during activity , recurrent pain while doi ng certain movements like overhead activities etc.  The time taken for it to heal usually depends upon thhe severity and the extent of the damage caused. Different methods of treatment are available likeOccupational and physical therapy: which will help regain function and normal motionConservative therapy : ie application of cold pack  to control the swelling, NSAIDS medication for the pain and inflammation.avoidance of strenous activity with the affected limbSurgical therapyYou will need to see a physician to ananlyze the severity of the rupture and then decide the method of treatment for the same.