Safe exercises after 3 years since meniscus repair surgery

Patient

Q: Is there any exercises like an Elliptical machine safe to use after knee surgery for a torn meniscus 3 years ago? Could that possibly wear down more meniscus?

Doctor

A:    If the knee injury and surgery occurred three years ago, by now you should be able to use the Elliptical machine, and do exercises that strengthen your quads, as bicycle and weights, trying always not to exceed your own capabilities and avoiding overuse. The movements that you are not allowed to do are those that imply excessive twisting, rotation and bending of the knees.