Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Safe sex and possible pregnancy

Safe sex and possible pregnancy

Patient: If you had protected sex but you haven’t had it in a while could it throw off your hormones, I have severe anxiety that I could be pregnant, but we checked the condom and it did not tear or leak however I feel sick and nauseous

Symptoms: Nauseous after meals

Doctor: Hello.thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion.If you have been sexually inactive for some time and d uring this very episode you are sure that barrier contraception was used and there was no failure or rupture then chances of pregnancy are minimal . However anxiety and stress perse can cause hormonal disbalance leading to delay in period.So best would be to rule out pregnancy by either a urine preg test if you have missed period already or with a serum beta hcg level if you are in the last week of your cycle.I hope i have amswered yoir query in detail.wishing you good health.regards