Safe sex and possible pregnancy

Patient : If you had protected sex but you haven't had it in a while could it throw off your hormones, I have severe anxiety that I could be pregnant, but we checked the condom and it did not tear or leak however I feel sick and nauseous
Symptoms:  Nauseous after meals
Doctor :   Hello. thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion. If you have been sexually inactive for some time and d uring this very episode you are sure that barrier contraception was used and there was no failure or rupture then chances of pregnancy are minimal . However anxiety and stress perse can cause hormonal disbalance leading to delay in period. So best would be to rule out pregnancy by either a urine preg test if you have missed period already or with a serum beta hcg level if you are in the last week of your cycle. I hope i have amswered yoir query in detail. wishing you good health. regards