Safety Of Surgery During Pregnancy.

Patient

Q: This question pertains to surgery in the fertilization phase. If the day I was ovulating and had intercourse on the 16th and i was having twilight surgery for a breast tumor on the 28th (before it would even registered a positive pregnancy), would I have a miscarriage or birth defects if I would happen to been pregnant? I need an answer quick because surgery is scheduled only 11 days form now. Much Appreciation:)

Doctor

A:   You do not have to worry. There are many scientific studies which demonstrate that anesthesia and surgery in pregnant persons can be performed safely with no ill-effects to mother or baby.