Salt and High Blood Pressure

Q: Hi, My husband is trying to lower his high blood pressure by cutting his salt intake and other non-doctor related means. It has worked very well for him. My question is, does an occasional meal out where you still try to pick the lowest salted food destroy everything you've been doing? He thinks that he can NEVER eat out again because there might be SOME salt in everything. My way of looking at it is, eat healthy all the time and the once a month or less that you go out, is not going to kill you. He says, I can eat out if you want me to die (he's grumpy). He's not been to the doctor about any of this (and won't go). It is all based on home blood pressure taking. It has dropped WAY into the safe zone from before, so it doesn't seem like a random meal would do that much harm. There are no other health issues.

A:   Lifestyle changes are thebest way to initially treat high blood pressure issues. The common lifestyle changes include dieatary changes including cutting down on salt as well as fatty foods, weight reduction etc. It is adviced to cut down and not completely stop on salt. There is no problem or harm in eating out once in while. I wouldnt advice against the same. I hope this helps. All the best.