x
175 Physicians Online

Question:

Same symptoms three weeks apart from visit to the same place.

Over the last month I have been sick twice, both times after spending a weekend at the same friend's apartment in another town (visits were three weeks apart). Symptoms include sore throat, coughing, headache, mild fever, and sinus drainage that is either clear or an opaque white. Symptoms onset about a day after returning to my home. Both times I spent about three days at the friend's home. As far as I know, none of the apartment residents are sick (four college age males live there), but I find it an odd coincidence that I've been ill twice after visiting. The only assumption that I might make is something environmental. Given that the residents are college males, the apartment isn't the cleanest. My question is this: What could cause this? I have almost zero medical knowledge, but I would have assumed that antibodies from the previous illness would prevent me from having the exact same problem three weeks later. Especially given that I very rarely fall ill. Additional info: After the first visit I felt sick for about 10 days. To my knowledge, nobody that I came into contact with during that time became ill afterwards.

Answer:

The symptoms may be due to viral infection. You may have caught the infection from any of your friends who may be suffering from cold, cough or any other infection at the time of your visit. There could also be a possibility of environmental factors like sitting near air conditioning for too long, having too much of frozen or refrigerated items like ice creams, drinks etc. Thus you may try to relate things during both visits to identify a common cause that may be responsible for your symptoms.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.