Sat in the sun on a hot day for about

Patient

Q: Sat in the sun on a hot day for about 4hrs..developed a itchy red bumpy rash on my arms..would this be a sun allergy, possibly photosensitivity? Any way to make it stop itching/go away? Any way to prevent it that doesn't involve covering it or staying inside?

Symptoms:  Itchy, red/pink,bumpy, rash, sun, forearms
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on ATD.

Sunburn is a form of radiation burn that affects living tissue, such as skin, that results from an overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation, from the sun. Common symptoms include red or reddish skin that is hot to the touch, pain, general fatigue, and mild dizziness.
The most-important aspects of sunburn care are to avoid exposure to the sun . The best treatment for most sunburn is time. Most sunburn heals completely within a few weeks. Home treatments that help manage the discomfort or facilitate the healing process include using cool and wet clothes on the sunburned areas, taking frequent cool showers or baths, and applying soothing lotions that contain aloe vera and calamine that may relieve the itching to the sunburn areas. Topical steroids (such as 1% hydrocortisone cream) may also help with sunburn pain and swelling.
The best sunburn protection is achieved by application of sunscreens 15 to 30 minutes before exposure, followed by one reapplication 15 to 30 minutes after exposure begins.

Wish you a good health.