Saturday evening Sept 3rd I came down with what I

Patient

Q: Saturday evening Sept. 3rd. I came down with what I thought was some kind of flu. My daughter and grandkids had been sick the weekend before. I had fever from 101 to 102.5. Headache, body aches, chills, nausea. N0 throwing up or diarreaha. it lasted until Tues. Morning Sept.9. I gradually got to feeling better until today when I tried to mow the yard. I had plenty of fluid, only mowed and hour and half and then got weak. I know have 102.4 fever. I am taking in fluids without any problem. What has happened to me. Why the relapse? I am healthy 59 yr. old female.

Symptoms:  Weekness, wooziness, muscle aches, headache, fever
Doctor

A:   Hi,

Thanks for your query.

To recapitulate: Female/59 - flu Sept 3 - history of your daughter and grand-kids were sick the weekend before - fever, headache, body ache, chills and nausea - lasted until Tuesday - felt better in the morning of Sept 9 - mowed the yard for one and half hour - got weak and have fever - taking plenty of water - wants to know what happened, why relapse?

The symptoms that you have mentioned are certainly of flu.
The flu is a viral infection and every time the season comes, the strains are different and respond differently and have different sequel and complications every time.
Secondly the internal body weakness takes a long time to recover completely and even a small exertion can lead to loads of weakness and related problems.
Mowing the yard is a physical activity and does cause severe weakness in the phase of recovery, particularly from Flu.
This does not look to be relapse but the state of not-yet-recovered from flu.
And not the least, with the advancing age, it takes more time for recovery.

I would advise you the following:
Take bed rest.
Take symptomatic treatment with acetaminophen or Ibuprofen whichever helps and suits you better.
Full normal diet and plenty of oral fluids as you are taking.
Continue till fully recovered.
No to any activity that exerts upon the body or psychology.
All the best. I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.