Wednesday, October 28, 2020

SC Injury Report: High Ankle Sprain on Michael Thomas

Micheal Thomas one of the elite receivers in the NFL who had a record year in 2019, was expected to continue his climb in 2020 for the Saints.

In a game against division rival Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Thomas suffered a high ankle sprain after a team fell onto his ankle and tripping him in the play and causing excessive external rotation of the ankle.

A high ankle sprain occurs less often than lateral ankle sprains but can account for between 16% and 24.6% of all ankle injuries encountered in football.

A high ankle sprain is an injury to the ligaments above the ankle joint connecting the fibula and tibia:
– AITFL (weakest)
– Interossesous ligament
– PITFL and ITTFL

High ankle sprains in football players result in significantly greater time loss to play than lateral ankle sprains and they most commonly occur in game play not practice.

Professional football players with high ankle sprains lost significantly more time (2.5 vs 1.25 weeks), practices (11.7 vs 3.5 practice sessions), and games (1.4 vs 0.3 games) than those with lateral ankle sprains.

Without any instability or seperation, conservative management results in return to play typically between 2 and 6 weeks after injury.

Can the Saints continue to dominate the NFC without their leading WR?

Dr. Sundeep Sandher
Dr. Sundeep Sandherhttp://www.drsandher.com
Growing up in Brampton, ON, Dr. Sundeep Sandher spent a lot of his time playing competitive soccer and exhibiting a passion for community engagement. He was always either engaging in sports, organizing community runs or volunteering and mentoring youth. Dr. Sandher’s interest in building a healthier community led him to complete an Honours Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology at the University of Waterloo. He continued on this path and went on to complete his Doctorate of Chiropractic from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College. Dr. Sandher’s treatment focuses on an evidence based approach to clinical practice. He is dedicated to alleviating pain, improving patient function, and optimizing performance. When Dr. Sandher isn’t treating patients, he continues to engage in organizing community initiatives focusing on sports and recreation and enjoys cheering on Toronto’s sports teams.

Most Popular

Late Stage Exercises for ACL Rehab

In the video below I share some exercises focusing on power for one of my clients near the end of his ACL...

5 ways to use left over juice pulp

When my friend Tairlyn got a new Breville Juicer (we are giving away a Breville Juice Fountain Cold at the bottom of this post!)...

How to Avoid the Coronavirus?

Currently there is no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV infection (Coronavirus). The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to...

Which Birth Control method is right for you?

Birth control (also called contraception) can help you prevent pregnancy when you don’t want to have a baby.