Scalp dermatitis treatment in pregnancy

Q: I have had some sort of scalp dermatitis for over six months now. I saw a gp and was given a course of antibiotics and a topical steroid as treatment. The antibiotics cleared the infection but the dermatitis never cleared and I returned to the doctor. I was given a second corse of antibiotics (infection returned) and when it still didn't clear I was referred to a dermatologist and given ointment for psoriasis.

During that time I fell pregnant and as a result I never started using the ointment. My appointment with the dermatologist isn't until late jan but the itching and pain and recurring infection has been driving me crazy. The only thing that seems to help is when I use clotrimazole cream topically 2 times a day, but I'm concerned about using it too much while I'm pregnant. I used it for two full weeks during the first trimester and the scabs were healing and my scalp just looked red, but when I stopped it came back with a vengeance. After a gap of a few weeks I have been using canesten again again for the past two weeks and it seems to be helping, I'm currently 15wks pregnant. Am I putting my baby at risk with this medication or are there any safer medications that I might be able to use while pregnant?