Scalp flaking and itching

Patient

Q: Hello, I've never asked a question online, like this, before. I have a horrible scalp. It's severe during season changes, severely hot days, and too much washing. I only wash it once every other day or three days. It cracks, bleeds when severe, constantly itches, constantly flakes (thick flakes, not like regular dandruff). I have found that aloe vera helps soothe it. I've also learned that if I use shampoos with laurel sulfate it irritates my scalp immensely. I've taken to using organic shampoos. This condition gathers all over my scalp and along the edges to where it can be seen if my hair is pulled back or parted a certain way. I've also noticed that my hair is thinning in front. If I run my fingers through my hair, along my scalp, it's feels bumpy all over.

I'm sorry this was so long. I've had this since around 15 and I'm now 30. My dad also has it but he shaves his head so it doesn't show on his scalp will flare up on his mustache. I've also noticed that my 8 month old has exema on the fold of her arm and legs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

As per details, it seems that you are suffering from a condition called Scalp psoriasis.
It is characterised by red colored patches covered with thick white colored coarse scales. On scraping, more and more scales come out.
It may bleed at times.
In such cases, I prefer to advise topical steroid in combination with Salicylic acid to be applied over the affected area.
You may use a shampoo containing ketoconazole in combination with coal tar.
Avoid scratching the affected area.
It has genetic predisposition also so may run in the family.
Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you a prescription.
You can share my opinion with him.

I hope it helps.
Stay healthy.