Scalp Itchiness and Baldness: What's the treatment?

Patient

Q: Hi, I've had scalp dermatitis for the past couple years, and nothing will calm down the itching nor the hair loss. I have male pattern baldness, but I'd like the inflammation to go away. I've tried nearly everything, and I'm not sure where to go from here. I've had kenalog injections (helps for a couple days), ketaconozole, tar gels, you name it. Changed shampoos as well a number of times. Just wanted to know if someone on here had any ideas of what could cause such terrible inflammation. It takes up a lot of my day thinking about it. I've tried not washing my hair as much as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Any out of the ordinary ideas would be helpful as well, as I've heard most of the usual remedies. Thanks.

Doctor

A:   With the scalp itching, I think it is seborrheic dermatitis, which is pretty common in men. Head and Shoulders shampoo and Selsun Blue shampoo may help with that. With the baldness, you may try Minoxidil lotion together with Finasteride tablets. Either Minoxidil lotion or Finasteride tablet, when used alone, is only ~40% effective in improving male pattern baldness and effects are usually observed after several months' use. When used together, the effect and result is way better. You should see your doctor first before starting these because Finasteride has side effects that will disturb normal sexual function (impotence, abnormal ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, etc). It is also noteworthy that Ketoconazole, which is used as a dandruff shampoo, also helps with baldness. Maintaining a regular exercise regiment might help with the baldness too. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.