Scar on my face what to do?

Patient

Q: Hello doctor I scratched my face with my fingernails and it left a scar. Is there any natural way to get rid of it asap? I heard olive oil works well but I haven't tried it I just want this scar gone :(

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The severity of this scratch will depending on how long it will take for the scar to fade. In some cases, it can take up to 8 weeks for this to fade on its own. There are topical scar removal creams that can be purchased at your local pharmacy but your skin may be sensitive to these and it is not recommended that you use it without consulting your doctor first. Olive oil has not been clinically proven to remove scars. The best thing to do at this point is to consult your doctor to determine if a prescription scar fading cream will assist in the removal of this scar. Please refrain from using home remedies that are not supported by medical research as this can lead to skin irritation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com