Scar on toddler's lip - any treatment possible?

Q: My 20-month-old daughter fell and bit her lip around 6 months ago - the cut was near, but did not cross, the vermillion border, and so the ER doc said it would not require stitches. The cut has long since healed, but she still has a hard lump at the wound site that is a little whiter than the surrounding red lip.

Is it worth bringing her in to a pediatric plastics doctor to take a look? Is this something that they'd even be willing to correct at her age, or should I wait until she's older? I don't want to put her through any unnecessary procedures at her age, but I don't want her to grow up and be insecure about her lip, either...

Symptoms:  Raised whitish bump on lip (scar from fall)

A:   Thank you for your question. We would encourage you to consult a plastic surgeon to have this scar examined. It is possible that with time that it can resolve however, scars on the lips can take a very long time to go away and may never go away at all. It is better to ere on the side of caution and have this scar evaluated by a specialist just to be sure that if a procedural correction of this scar will insure better results in the improvement of the appearance of the scar.

Thank you for choosing