Scared i might be infected with a STD

Patient

Q: Im a 16 year old female. i am sexually active. me and my boyfriend are commited to each other and havent been with anyone else for months. i had mono around december and got very sick for about 2 weeks. after that i seemed to be fine. but the past month i have felt tired more then usualy, had lose in appitite and energy and in the past week have gotten dizzy more then once. i had sex on saturday including oral. sunday morning i woke up with a swollen tonsils, and over the past few days it has gotten worse. it looks like i have tonsillitis. my doctor prescribed penicillin and i have used mouth wash a lot. is my strep throat most likely caused from having mono or is there a chance it is std related?

Doctor

A:   Hello, I understand your worry about your Throat infection. Usually the most common pathogen causing this type of infection is viral. However when the tonsils swell and have purulent discharge, also when the patient feels tired and fever is also present , the possibility of Strep bacteria is usually thought to be the pathogen.Strep bacteria are commonly found in the body and it is not considered a Sexual transmitted disease. I suggest you to take your antibiotics. I wish you a prompt recovery.